Wednesday, January 13, 2010

If you have boys...

If you have boys, you can relate to the moment I had today.

I was doing a phonics lesson with Hayden.  He's learning the /or/ and /ar/ sounds like in the words sort and car respectively.  He was supposed to write a word that rhymed with the words 'part' and 'art' after I told him the first letter.

So, I said /ch/ and he wrote the word chart.  I said /d/ and he wrote the word dart.  I said /sm/, he wrote smart. 

I thought he should also review the /or/ sound (was not in the curriculum), so I said the word rhymes with 'sort' and it starts with /f/. 

Obviously he should have written fort, but he still had /ar/ on the brain.  I see what he's written and I said, what should you have written? 

He says, fort. 

I said, is that what you wrote? 

He sounds out F-AR-T and starts laughing so hard.  I hear Conner start to laugh from the kitchen table and they laughed for nearly 3 minutes straight. 

Hayden gets this giggle that cracks me up, so we're all laughing about the word fart.  Why is that so funny to little boys (and big boys too I might add)? 

Hayden kept telling the story that he was supposed to write fort, but wrote fart and then they both would laugh all over again.

It was great to laugh together today.  It seems lately homeschooling has brought about more tears than laughter. 

:)

4 comments:

missy said...

that's so cute. i'm so glad for the laughter. even if the source is potty humor. unfortunately, we totally dig it around here!

Jamie said...

love it. good to keep in mind. Charlie & Jeff have been getting into the loud burps around here. drives me nutty:)

ZFam said...

that is great!

Demorest Designs said...

great story. glad you had fun together!