Thursday, April 1, 2010

I feel like we're in mourning...

Ok, maybe just me. We found out last Friday that the dog we were supposed to get a puppy from only had one female. She had eight puppies, and only ONE female. We were supposed to get female #3. We've been counting down the weeks and now, I'm sad. I think I can say I've moved on, but it really was hard at first. I thought the kids would be so upset and they are sad, but seem content just knowing that we ARE getting a dog, just not the one we thought.

I loved the breeder we found. She posted on the blog she had about her dogs (I almost wrote her 'dog blog' but for some reason couldn't bring myself to do it) a happy birthday to Conner message from the dogs. We've been emailing back and forth a bit and I know we would have kept in touch.

So, we've been calling other breeders and have widened our search. We've contacted breeders in Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan. We're on a list for a breeder in Ohio. We just filled out a 'puppy prospect form' for a breeder in Wisconsin. That's no lie. We had to tell about our family, where the dog would stay, if we planned to hunt the dog, if we were willing to get the dog this certain certification...etc. etc. Most of these breeders are passionate about their dogs...thus the puppy prospect sheet. Several of the breeders I've called have ended up talking with me for almost a half and hour. Trust me, some of that is due to my many questions. The more I talk with people the more I'm convinced this is the breed for us, despite the fact that we've never seen the dog in person, which is a bit weird.

Anyway, we're still hoping to bring a puppy home early the summer, but we'll have to see. I had it 'all planned out' and the Lord is reminding me that my plans don't always prevail-nor should they.

Looking forward to the first warm Easter that I can remember in so long. Happy Easter.
He is risen, He is risen indeed!!

2 comments:

missy said...

sorry about the puppy. you have a great perspective on it as we head into this easter weekend, though.

Rawley Point Kennel said...

Oh gosh, I was just checking your blog to see if you found a puppy yet. I feel bad all over again, even though I know it was all out of my hands - you have a great attitude about it. Good luck and please let me know if you get one - you deserve it! Mary
(P.S. I can empathize with the puppy questionnaire - been there, done that!) :-)