I love Christmas. I love our family traditions that surround this special time of year. Here's a glimpse of a few of them...
1. Each year we have a cookie decorating contest between the adults. We usually have have many shapes to choose from, but this year we were limited to just trees. The kids have enjoyed decorating their own cookies too. When we all get together to celebrate, everyone votes for the top three cookies, then we announce the winners. It is a great time (even if I did place third this year!).

I don't know why this photo is sideways...but the winning cookie is the bottom middle.

2. My mom hides clues all over the house for the kids to find their final present (she did this for my brother and I for a long time, now it's been passed on to the grandkids). They love running around the house to find the next clue.

3. We recently started the tradition of each bringing a $5 gift when we all get together (my aunt, uncle and cousins, my grandparents etc). Its been fun to see what we come up with for $5 and what gets 'stolen' the most. Mark's gift of a 6 pack of orange crush, orange tick tacs and orange stride gum was quite desired. My starbucks gift card was popular and I left with a subway gift card that I'm excited to use.

4. My grandma and grandpa have been giving the great grandkids a bag of goodies similar to what my grandparents received when they were kids. It includes an apple, an orange, a piece of candy and a small toy. It's amazing to see how much 'Christmas giving' has changed in three generations, for better or worse.

5. We always end our family celebration with a bingo game. My grandma has a small oatmeal container for each person and you can select one when you win (one prize per person). Inside one there is always a toilet paper roll with a $5 bill, some with very old half and silver dollars, and some with chocolate and nuts.

6. At the Raikes' family Christmas Poppy always reads the Christmas story to the kids before we open gifts. As the kids have gotten older, it has gone more smoothly (better attention spans!).

We had a great time celebrating Jesus' birthday with both sides of our family. I love being with all of them this time of year. Here are a few more photos of our fun...






5 comments:
Love your traditions. Great photos too.
That was fun to see your Christmas traditions. We have none, so I think I am going to steal a few if you don't mind.
Which one was your cookie?
Okay, I'm going to say the same thing.-- I love reading about your traditions. I'm with Dez-- I plan to steal a few!
great family pics. i love all the traditions you guys have! let's talk about the tree on the green wall in the picture of the kids decorating cookies...i want it. seriously...can you find out where it is from?
Great updates, I have been wanting to play bingo lately. I have even considered buying the ball turner and ink dotter. What a fun thing to do. Anyone join me?
Post a Comment